This Blue-Green Smoothie
I LOVE blueberries, and I love adding greens into smoothies where it doesn't change the taste! For this treat, the greens used were raw spinach and spirulina powder—an antioxidant delight!
We had an excellent buy on large packages of frozen blueberries, so I eagerly threw some into my Vita-Mix and made this delicious blue-green drink. Actually, I spooned each mouthful, relishing the taste like I would an ice cream sundae!
Keywords: gluten-free raw
A raw smoothie to enjoy like a blueberry sundae, but disguised with healthy greens.
- 2 cups organic apple juice (fresh juice preferred)
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs coconut sugar or preferred sweetener (optional)
- 2 Tbs hemp seed (optional)
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (thawed or partly thawed)
- 2 large handfuls of washed raw spinach leaves
- Combine the first six ingredients into a high speed blender like a Vita-Mix and blend well.
- Add the blueberries and use the tamper to mix together.
- Add the spinach and use the tamper to mix while blending.
- Pour and enjoy!
Not familiar with spirulina powder? Dr. Mercola explains what this ancient plant is—a form of blue-green algae with "miracle" benefits:
- protein rich
- immune boosting
- allergy relief
- normalizes blood pressure and cholesterol
- reduces cancer risk