- Numero uno: I've had no terrible carb cravings ever since the third day of this new mostly raw diet. I didn't even miss my cappuccino that has been a given for many years. Before, around mid afternoon to evening I'd be scrounging for something made with flour or sugar or salt, or all these combined. I knew not to eat it, but my body overcame my mind and always won out. I'm figuring that now that my body knows what nourishment is, it isn't going bananas on me, and I have the self control I've longed for in this area. Makes it easier you know.
- Dos: My blood pressure dropped! In previous months, my BP ranged from 170/100 to 154/90. Way too high! After only one week on mostly raw foods, it was the lowest I've had: 130/78. I haven't added salt to my food for two months, but I've read that the potassium and magnesium content in certain fruits and veggies help to lower BP too. And some vegetables naturally lower blood pressure in different ways.
- Tres: I'm less a zombie in the AM. A little more bright eyed and clear-headed now. The fatigue is lifting, though this 100 degree heat does not help things.
- Quatro: I lost five pounds! I actually hoped to have lost ten by this point, but seriously, eating raw peach pie (nutty crust) for five days in a row will make your body think it should pack on the pounds—not shed them. Too many nuts and good-for-you oils are high calorie you know. I better watch that.
- Cinco: I'm having so much FUN! After the months of stress in studying for my nursing exam, I'm just chillin' and finding time to do what I enjoy. As you'll see here shortly, I've had the dehydrator in good use and my food processor and blender are daily instruments. I'm taking a weekly raw foods prep class again with my friend Lynne, a Hallelujah Health Minister. I think tomorrow we are making raw pizza. Can't wait.
Banana Blueberry Pancakes
These pancakes were one of the first yummy treats I made. Taken from Live Raw by Mimi Kirk. I love her beautiful book and my husband told me I can make them any time I want (that good!). All you need are:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbs honey (or agave)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup blueberries.